How we achieved peace in Plateau — Lalong

More
3 years 1 month ago #1579 by patrickd

Attachment Simon-Bako-Lalong-696x463_2018-01-09.jpg not found

GOVERNOR Simon Lalong of Plateau State has advocated an all-inclusive governance as a measure to ensure peace in any community.

Speaking to newsmen in Jos, the state capital, yesterday, Governor Lalong noted that it was the measure that restored peace in Plateau State, adding “during my campaigns, it was one of the issues the ethnic groups in the state were raising.”

According to Lalong, “some said they were neglected; it is only during elections they are called to contribute. Others asked ‘what will you do for us to have participation in government?’

“I told somebody that if I sign 200 Certificates of Occupancy, Cs of O, Plateau State indigenes will not be up to 20, while the rest will be Igbo, Yoruba or people from other parts of the country.

“Before our campaigns, we made sure that we went through their records, their associations and they gave us the names of their leaders.

“As they gave us their leaders’ names, we promised them that the new government will be theirs.”

Empowerment strategy

On the post-election plan, Lalong said: “When we won the election, we looked at how to give a sense of belonging to all.

“Some were patronised through contracts, others through appointments. There is representation for all of the 53 ethnic groups in our state.

“Another critical constituency is the youth. The youths were very angry. Most of their parents were not paid, many of them were not going to school, some of the schools were permanently shut and there were no jobs for some of the graduates.

“What we did through the Federal Government platform—Small Medium Enterprises Development Agency, SMEDAN— was to set up PLASMEDAN (Plateau Small Enterprises Development Agency), went to the state House of Assembly and got the law passed.”

Source: www.vanguardngr.com/2018/01/achieved-peace-plateau-lalong/
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds